Cantaloupe is not the most frequent product on our table. But in the season we want to enjoy this fragrant and delicious fruit. The owners of birds wonder if can parrots eat cantaloupe, whether it will be useful for them and how much to give so as not to hurt. After all, there is always a chance that the pet will bite off a piece of a slice when the owner does not see it.
can quaker parrots eat cantaloupe?
Not only quaker parrots but also corella, inseparable and larger Jacquot and ara like to eat cantaloupes. The tender and sweet flesh of this melon culture is a great delicacy for them. Just remember that the measure must be in everything. In feeding cantaloupes, among other things.
Useful properties of Cantaloupe for parrot
Cantaloupe is an amazing plant, which, by and large, can not be attributed to either fruits or berries, or vegetables. It comes from the family of Pumpkin and Cucumber. Not only melon flesh is useful, but also its peel, seeds, roots, leaves. If you give cantaloupe to parrots, they will get such useful substances:
- B vitamins – are important for the strong immunity of birds, protect against pathogens, help the nervous system;
- Vitamin C – especially important during molting and nesting, when the consumption of this substance increases;
- Vitamin E – a guarantee of an excellent appetite, vigor of the birds, and the birth of healthy offspring;
- vitamin A (beta carotene) – an indispensable element for the functioning of the cardiovascular system, digestion, for excellent plumage and good vision;
- Minerals (iron, zinc, iodine, potassium, cobalt, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, etc.) – necessary materials for the formation of the skeleton, healthy skin and feather cover, no problems with beak and claws, and much more;
- Essential amino acids – are building elements, without their participation, not a single reaction in the body;
- Food fibers and pectin – improve gastrointestinal function;
- Antioxidants – protect the body from free radicals.
Diuretics in the cantaloupe contribute to the removal of excess fluid and purification of toxins.
By eating melon, parrots will have a healthy heart and blood vessels, strong bone tissue, an excellent digestive system, and a beautiful appearance.
Why can’t you give a lot of Cantaloupe?
Due to the high content of sugars – simple carbohydrates (per 100 grams of product 8-9 grams) cantaloupe can not be called a dietary product. It is especially dangerous for those who have a predisposition to diabetes.
In inflammatory processes in the intestines and stomach, it is better not to use this pumpkin.
The biggest harm to birds can be caused by a cantaloupe full of nitrates (by the way, this also applies to watermelons, which also like to eat birds). This melon culture easily accumulates nitrates, especially in the layer under the skin. People are often poisoned by cantaloupes from unreliable suppliers. Parrots are a thousand times smaller than us, so sometimes it is enough to eat a small piece with harmful substances to poison themselves. If you are not sure about the quality of the product, do not give it to the parrot.
The same is true for fruits with damaged skin – through the damaged areas easily penetrate pathogens, which then actively multiply in the pulp.
Conclusion: in order not to hurt, the parrot can be given a cantaloupe only in the season – so you are less likely to buy a fruit with nitrates, while carefully checking it for any spoiled areas and other damage.
How and how much to give cantaloupe to the parrot?
If the bird has never tried cantaloupe, try to give it a small amount of pulp. Some birds are wary of unfamiliar products, especially if they are not used to fruits and vegetables since childhood.
Rinse the fruit well, cut the rind, and offer the pet a slice. You can put it in a bowl for succulent food or hang it in a cage. Only in the second case, be prepared that at the bottom of the cell there will be a puddle of juice, which should be removed immediately to prevent the growth of bacteria.
Warning! It is quite possible that after eating pumpkin, the litter will change its consistency. This does not mean that the parrot should not be given cantaloupe, but due to the high content of liquid in this fruit, such changes in defecation is a normal process. As you get used to the new product, the droppings will normalize.
The first portion – 1 teaspoon of melon flesh. It is enough to give a treat once a day. If after a couple of hours the sweet pieces remain undone, remove them from the cell, so as not to dilute the bacteria.
can parrots eat cantaloupe seeds?
If you offer your pet pieces of melon with seeds, he will get additional benefits. cantaloupe seeds:
- Soothing, relaxing nervous system;
- Due to fiber normalize digestion;
- Well clean the kidneys, intestines, liver;
- Improve the absorption of beneficial substances;
- Reduce blood sugar levels;
- Strengthen blood vessels and immunity;
- Make the plumage strong and healthy.
Of course, with seeds, as with the cantaloupe itself is not worth being diligent. Just give them little by little to your parrot, remembering that this is not the main food, but a delicious treat.
You can give a wavy parrot, Corella, and other representatives of this species of bird cantaloupe to diversify the diet and treat your pet. The main thing is to be sure of the quality of the fruit for feeding so that your pet will receive only benefits and pleasant emotions from them.
Watch in this video, with what pleasure the parrot eats cantaloupe: