The owners of birds often wonder can parrots eat bananas because these birds live in the tropics and like to enjoy sweet fruit. In the wild, wavy parrots, corella, and other species eat bananas right with the peel, intuitively choosing the sweetest and ripe fruits. At home, this fruit can also pamper your pet, only it is important to know the measure.
Can wavy Parrots Eat Bananas?
You can and should give a wavy parrot a banana. Thanks to the useful substances contained in it, your pet will get not only important micro and macro elements, but it will also simply transform before your eyes. It will become more energetic and cheerful.
Bananas do not contain acids harmful to birds, but act as a treasure of easily digestible nutrients:
- Potassium – bananas outrank most fruits and berries by their content. Thanks to potassium, the vessels of birds are strong, the muscles are well developed, and the heart is healthy;
- Magnesium, along with potassium, is an essential element for the health of the heart, muscles, and ligaments, and actively participates in metabolic processes;
- There are many other minerals in the fruits (sodium, iron, zinc, calcium, and phosphorus) that strengthen bone tissue, saturate the blood with oxygen, improve the state of the reproductive system;
- B vitamins have a beneficial effect on the nervous system, eliminate irritability, anxiety, improve concentration, ensure the health of the beak, claws, fountain cover;
- Vitamin C, carotenoids and vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin D – a guarantee of good vision, healthy bright plumage, strong immunity, high physical activity, and healthy offspring;
- Tryptophan amino acid – a great helper from stress (note this, if your parrot is undergoing adaptation after moving);
- Fiber – stimulates and improves diges
Bananas can be given to parrots also because they improve liver function, contribute to the normalization of protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism, are the prevention of diabetes, to which these birds are so inclined.
Interesting! According to Japanese scientists, ripe bananas are an effective anti-cancer remedy, as they contain anti-cancer substances, antioxidants.
Why can’t Parrots Eat a lot of bananas?
In spite of such positive effect of bananas on parrots, it is impossible to feed these fruits to birds constantly. The main diet of birds must remain grain, the exception may be the parrots of Lori, which eat mostly fruits and nectar of plants.
Any useful product with excessive consumption will have the opposite effect – instead of benefit can cause harm.
- The more ripe bananas are, the more quickly digestible are their sugars, which can provoke blood sugar jumps and diabetes.
- Due to the rather high caloric value, eating a large number of bananas can lead to obesity.
- In small amounts, banana tree fruits are useful for constipation and diarrhea.
However, eaten in large quantities can cause flatulence. This is especially true for immature bananas, which contain a lot of starch.
How to give a banana to a parrot
How many bananas can you give to wavy parrots, corella, inseparable and larger Jacquot, ara, cockatoos? If the parrot is small, two small bananas per week are enough. If the bird is large – the portion can be increased slightly.
Before offering the parrot a banana, clean its peel so that the bird does not accidentally bite it. It is known that the fruit is treated with chemicals for transport and subsequent sale so that as long as possible they keep their attractive appearance. So that your pet does not get poisoned, do not let him bite the peel, which may accumulate poisonous substances.
To give a banana to the parrot, slice a few slices, and put it in the feed trough for juicy food. Or you can cut it into small slices and hang it from above in a cage so that the sweet flesh will not stick to the other food particles, droppings, water.
Slices can also be placed in special holders for fruits – and then eating bananas will turn for the bird into a fun game.
Bananas can be used as a reward for the parrot during training for hands, teaching talk, or tricks. Of course, this applies to those birds who are familiar with this fruit. It often happens that when you buy a pet at the bird market, you will find that he sees a banana for the first time in his life, so it is not surprising that he is wary of it. If your parrot is curious (and most of these birds are), seeing you bite off a piece of unfamiliar fruit and offer it to do the same, he will want to try what you eat.
It may also happen that a bird flatly refuses to eat bananas. Then do not insist, there are a lot of other fruits and berries that you can pamper your pet.
So, we have figured out whether bananas can be used by parrots. These fruits are not only tasty but also give a lot of useful substances to the body of pets, do not cause allergic reactions and intolerance. However, do not be too diligent and give bananas to birds all the time – it is still a delicacy. If this is the first time when your wavy parrot sees a banana in its cage, do not expect that it will immediately nibble on it. Perhaps, the bird should give time to get used to the new food and try it. Over time, your parrot will gladly start eating bananas and will appreciate them.